Written by Usman Raza
You can read everywhere that juicing is good for your health. From enzymes, minerals, vitamins to antioxidants which are helpful in detoxifying your body, you can argue that juicing is an essential addition to a healthy diet. But juice has some disadvantages. Yes! you heard it right! Drinking juices may not be good for you sometimes.
The following reasons will let you know why juicing can be bad for your health. It is better to know these things, especially if you have a weaker immune system. People who have autoimmune disease, hypothyroidism, problems with digestion, and also those people who have issues with difficulty with breathing should think twice before starting a juicing program.
- STOMACH INFECTION. People who juice more often have a bigger chance of getting stomach or gut infections. While people who have a good immune system and bacterial gut flora have the ability to fight harmful bacteria that can enter the body while drinking raw juices, people with stomach or gut infections may feel uncomfortable. People who suffer in this way should eat food rich in probiotics like yogurt and other fermented foods. If you really want to drink juice, make sure you choose organic fruits and vegetables and wash them properly.
- INCREASED BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL. The moment you juice fruits and vegetables, fiber content is also removed from your diet. Fiber is good for your digestion. If you’re drinking a lot of fruits and vegetables, they contain a lot of sugar. This is not good for your dental health. It can spike your blood sugar. If you are limiting sugar in your diet, then juicing may not be a good idea for you. Thus this is not advisable for people who are diabetic.
- HARMFUL TO YOUR KIDNEYS. If you are suffering from kidney problems, try to avoid consuming fruit and vegetable juice with a high potassium content, like kale and bananas. If you have weak kidneys, then drinking eight ounces of kale juice might trigger high blood pressure, serious infection, prostate problems, and may complicate pregnancy. Most people should consume only 4,700 milligrams of potassium every day, Amounts in excess of that it will be excreted by the kidneys.
- TRIGGERS THYROID GLAND ENLARGEMENT. Cauliflower, kale, spinach and collards contain glucosinolate that can trigger problems with thyroid hormones. Juicing out from these vegetables can cause hypothyroidism, according to a study based in animals by Oregon State University’s Linus Pauling Institute. It is better to consult your doctor before drinking those vegetables as juice.
- JUICE IS NOT FOR CLEANSING. We clean our house, so we also want to clean our body to protect from many illnesses. However, forget the idea of cleansing your body through juices. You’re just wasting your money, effort, and time. According to Dr. Adrienne Youdim of Cedars-Sinai Hospital, your body doesn’t need a cleansing process. Our body itself has internal organs that cleanse toxins. Kidneys, intestines and liver are all natural cleaners which are responsible in eliminating the bad chemicals in our body. The body can detox itself.
- INCREASE OF CALORIES. Juicing is not good for your health if your intention is to lose weight. It is harmful because it may eliminate good nutrients. Never expect that juicing can make your body slimmer. In fact you can gain weight because you are consuming higher calories out from natural sugar in vegetables and fruits. It is better to munch an apple or a piece of carrot for you to feel full.
- YOU IGNORE FIBER. Juicing provides nutrients and refreshing feelings but fiber is reduced and pulp can be eliminated. We all know that fiber can help your colon function well, helps you reduce heart problems. It lowers the cholesterol and sugar in the blood.
- LESS PROTEIN. Juices from fruits and vegetables will only allow you to get two to eight grams of protein upon drinking. This is not enough for your body to be fueled and repair tissues and cells in your body to function well. A person who weighs 130 pounds needs to consume at least 65 grams of protein every day. Protein helps you become stronger, and makes the body leaner, and burns calories says Dr. Youdim.
- DRUG COMPLICATIONS. Lemon juice is good if you’re drinking it during the morning with an empty stomach for detox. However, if you are suffering from any disease, it is not advisable to drink lemon juice together with your medication. Drinking citrus juices while taking oral medication can affect the absorption process of your body.
- JUICING IS EXPENSIVE. This habit will cost you. It is said that you spend about $3500 annually for juices if you juice every day.
- Cost of juice at Starbucks – $6.99 depending on the flavor
- Cost of juice at the bar – $9.99 depending on the flavor
- Cost of some premium juice – $15 per eight ounces.
CONCLUSION: Juices are really refreshing. They contain valuable nutrients. Of course they are better than french fries, burgers, hotdogs and ice cream. Juice can be added to your daily diet, however you should do so in moderation. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables are way better than drinking juices
About the author: Usman Raza is a freelance writer, marketing specialist at Zensleep and co-founder of Usman Digital Media. When not working, he’s probably spending time with his family. Follow him on Facebook @usmanraza40 and Twitter @usmanintrotech.
Guest posts represent the opinions of the guest author and do not represent the editorial perspective or views of futurefood.fm and its editors.